Friday, June 19, 2009

It's all in the numbers

I really don't think I am a "stupid" person. After all I "is" a college graduate. It is just that my brain is so full of medical information, that I really don't think I can cram a compass class in there. So, I decide a "self-help" class is in order. I head out to my back yard with my TT and my i-phone. Seeing we have had several days of rain, it is hot, it is muggy. I stand in the middle of the back yard, and turn on the geocaching site on my i-phone. I turn on my TT. I hit the "where am I key' and lo and behold, all these coordinates come up. Ok, now we are talking! From years of "detailed" directions, I know for sure...that when I can see the side of the elementary school, I am facing North. Maybe not "due north", which is a term I have heard but really can't explain. Anyways, I am facing somewhere in the Vicinity of North. So, this in turn tells me, that the hay field, which is to my right is actually East, my house, to my left, is West and the neighbors peeking out their windows, would be South. Ok then. I must say, that the TT and the coords on the i-phone are actually pretty close. Did I mention it was hot and muggy? Ok, so my experiment is "incomplete" but I have made some headway. So listen up people, and write it down, you may even need to laminate it. When I am in MY backyard, and I head N, the numbers by the N sign go UP. And in turn when I head S, the numbers under the N, go down. Makes sense. Also when I head W, the numbers next to the W go up, and ( of course) when I head E, the numbers next to the W go down. Still with me here? Not sure why only North and West numbers are displayed, but I am sure there is a logical reason.( Had to turn the TT off, as it kept telling me to turn left. I guess, I still have it programmed to get me home.) At some point in time, the neighbors, pulled their children indoors.( I may have even heard the locks click.) Hopefully, they thought I was practicing the two-step. Further testing is needed, but I am anxious to test it out on a new cache. Did I mention it was hot and muggy out?

No comments:

Post a Comment