Monday, June 22, 2009

"Good to Go"

Worked a few days at my "paying" job and planned a cache for my next day off. It is 86 degrees out. Just had 2 inches of rain, and it is HOT out. I change into my geocaching gear, which consist of long sleeves, jeans, thick socks and tennie whoppers.( hmmm... 2 inches of rain,I should have grabbed my old tennies, whatever.) I spray myself with an enormous amount of OFF. I grabbed my "over-the-shoulder " tote bag, my TT, my I-phone and my walking stick. I was, as !st Sgt would say...."Good to go". I take the"Cache mobile"( formally known as the "signature series. )I set the TT to the appropriate coordinates and head out. I reach my destination at 1735. ( you are amazed I know military time, aren't you) Anyways it is 1735. I look up at the sky, the sun is located due... well who cares, the sun is in the sky and it is HOT out! I grab my gear, and head up.. maybe down (who knows) anyway I am on the lane.. I follow the field line along the trees. Notice I said along the trees, not into the trees. I reach an area lined up with my flashing blue dot. You got to love this i-phone. The trees are was so thick, or maybe it is the screen of mosquitoes, but I can't see ahead of me.. Feeling stealth -like, I poke my way through the brambles and bushes. And then, right ahead I spot it... the beaver dam. Yes, I have returned to the" infamous beaver dam" I check my "coords", unbelievable, I am,.( plus or minus) 6 feet away! since I had just spent a day "walking" the numbers, I can put all this good knowledge into action. I check the N numbers and I am right on! Yes! I check the W, It appears I am only a few numbers off. I locate W on the compass, Okay, I need to head West. Or Wait do I head East? OMG... . I head in the opposite direction . I watch the numbers..what? Okay, I turn around. It has to be close, I poke around with my stick, and then I see it! I am smiling.... no, I am smirking! I make my move. Finished, I quietly head back... I look...around...all is good. I get in...I lock the doors... and I whisper..." I found it!" I set the TT to "home", and as I peel out in the" Cache mobile," I smile...MY FIRST TRAVEL BUG!!! Yes!! I am good to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment