Tuesday, November 3, 2009

Ma-isms

Every now and again, I can feel the love from 1st Sgt, with an occasional e-mail regarding my blog. They are usually short...and to the point. I love the one where he informs me " Geocaching is not for dyslexics" Then today, I get another one... hey you were only 45955.7 feet off. 45 THOUSAND 955 POINT 7. Yes...1ST SGT, I am aware of that. I didn't have the exact number, but yes I was aware...that I was a little ways off. I am just thrilled that you actually took the time to convert that to feet. As I read that e-mail and go to the next, I think of something Ma always said... " always have to get the last word in...edgewise"

Edgewise (!?!) Where did she get that! ?! Who says that? Looking back, I realize we didn't grow up with the usual sayings...we grew up with Ma-isms! One of her favorites..." You kids will be the death of me, yet" MA...you are 86 years old!!!

Unless you grew up in the 60's in a Catholic grade school, you probably don't appreciate the fact that on every paper, and I mean EVERY paper ...we had to put J.M.J in the right upper corner. So, when Ma would would be really ticked...she'd Say... "Jesus, Mary & Joseph!" We knew we were in trouble then.

Most kids, grew up hearing the words...you wait until your father gets home. Oh No, not at our house! Why wait until dad got home...Ma could handle this herself! By the time dad got home, we were already half way through our punishment! Or, I should say, 1st Sgt was half way through the pound of dark chocolate. Yep, he had to sit at the picnic table, in the summer...and eat 1 pound of dark chocolate, all because Ma thought he was eating the chocolate chips from the freezer. I guess if we were the type of family... that waited " until your father gets home" ...well, we would never have this great memory, because it turns out Dad was the one eating the chocolate chips. I keep my chocolate chips in the freezer, and every once in a while, I remember, oh so clearly, that day.

Re-thinking all these sayings, and trust me, she had hundreds of them, (" I hope you have 10 kids and every one of them, is just like you ") I was trying to recall who it actually was... trying to get the last word in...edgewise. I was the baby girl so I didn't have a chance to EVEN say anything, so I KNOW it wasn't me. ( Don't start Big Sis) The more I think about it, the more I think it was ACTUALLY Ma, that always got the last word in...edgewise. I can almost bet ( my life) on it, that when my day comes, as I make my way to the pearly gates ( hopefully I have the right coords!) I know I will see Ma ( remember we went to a Catholic school) standing next to St. Peter and she will have that little smirk on her face, and I KNOW what she will say... I can hear it now..." well... look what the cat dragged in."

With this being my prediction, I better get my chance now...So... I am gonna step up to the plate 1st Sgt...and as I picture you rolling on the floor, laughing " whatever" off...I am going to do a first... so listen up... ( maybe you should write it down)

When I hit the Publish button on this screen...I am getting the last word in...edgewise! ( All is Good! xo)

...POOF!



No comments:

Post a Comment