Thursday, November 5, 2009

My 100th find!


I start the morning off with scraping the windows and dressing with 2 layers under my hoodie. I throw a jacket in the cache mobile...just in case. Scrounged up some gloves, don't need any boots, but do wish I had a hat. Actually wish I had a head that looked good in a hat!! Today is a normal geocaching Thursday.

It turns out to be a beautiful day ( in the 60's) all the farmers were in the fields and were totally oblivious to our 1 mile loops down every gravel road. We had crossed over the border, which sounds exciting, but really it was just the border to my home town state. The thought process on all this, is get some caches "far away" while the weather is nice...and when " the snow flies" we will get caught up on the caches in our "nearby " area. Well, seeing that our "nearby" caches are also 30 some miles away...It really doesn't make that much sense! But, I guess I can get some relief knowing that when I slide into a ditch, it is at least on some "familiar ground"

By the end of our tour, we pick up 12 caches. For a minute there I felt like Thelma and Louise, but we all know how that ends ...
Today we are not rushed, we are picking these caches up at a pretty good pace. Of course, you always have that one..."so obvious you can't see it" ...the" if it was any closer it would bite you"...and the " how did we not see that cache"...that slows you down a little. I ran into some geese at one cache ( well, not literally) and had time to go back with some food for them...just as I promised.

1st Sgt, who obviously monitors my day to day activity sent me a congratulatory note on my 100th find, and added that he has " created a monster" I mentioned to the pot-stirrer 0n thursday that I was pretty sure I had reached the 100 mark. Her response..."Don't care" I decided right then and there (Ma-ism) I won't even mention it....so I won't!

It was on the last cache of the day, number 102 ( but who's counting) that I was attacked by a killer corn stalk! We were strolling out 1/2 mile to a cache. ( You are told that right up front).. The owner of the cache mentions something in his description about being able to walk through the crops, but don't take them down. He didn't say anything about them taking you down! Try to get the picture here...I was walking, talking, and messing with the GPS, ( I may even have been chewing gum) I decide to "change lanes"...when Bham! I was down! Seeing that the corn had already been combined, I think this would be categorized under light weight division! That stubby little stalk, took me by surprise! I think I did manage to get UGH out, but ...barely. I was down, but not for long! After visually looking for bones sticking out, and mentally assessing the degree of pain, I realized that I had saved the I-phone, and that's what counts!! I did roll over and laugh, just so I could tell 1st SGT that I was ROTGLMAO! The pot-stirrer said I hit so hard, she felt the ground shake...but we all know how she exaggerates everything!

We are going to try to get back to that area "before the snow flies". We will take a right, instead of a left, and ( hopefully) pick up a couple of Scott & Peggy's caches!! (see how I casually mention this...like we have been for years!) Cache on, be safe, and watch out for the killer corn stalks!

Note to pot-stirrer: When your co-cacher "goes down"...you DON'T just step over them and keep walking! LOL ( 100th find..tee hee!)




No comments:

Post a Comment