Friday, November 6, 2009

Geocaching boots

The plan was to head down to a mall, pick up some flavored coffee beans for the pot-stirrer, buy some boots for our winter escapades, while picking up caches ALONG the way. And like most plans...it just didn't happen!

We head off, I have print offs of 15 or more caches...all located en route. But, we divert straight to the mall. We just had to get those coffee beans. I am sure they would not had sold out before we got there, but....I am not driving. From the mall, we head to the craft store...I decide to pick up, the "perfect evergreen swag" for the holidays. 20 swags later, I end up with a 3 foot Christmas tree. That was MY change in plans. It is lunch time....so off for a nice sit-down lunch. Finally, a sit down and eat, never happens when you are out caching with the pot-stirrer. But, then again...who is caching?

After completely over-eating and indulging in 1 margarita, we locate the boot store on the GPS and head that way. Notice, we haven't stopped for even 1 cache. Once in the store, I have to pull myself away from the Christmas decorations, and head for the boots. Really not hard...I pick up a boot, slide it on...fits...throw it in the cart. I am done. Or so I think. I have to locate the pot-stirrer, as she has some wide foot deficit, and is clear across the store, in the men's section. She has boots and boxes spread everywhere! She is looking for the perfect boot!

I try on a couple of Elmer Fudd hats, while patiently waiting. (hats don't work on me) Just when I think we are ready to wrap this up, she glances down and sees what boot, I have picked out. "Is that the boot, you are getting?" Ya, why? "well...it is kinda plain" We are geocaching, not going for a style show. She doesn't think it will be warn enough. So, I start looking all over...I try on a couple of pink ones, just to "stir the pot". She has her boots ( I call those construction shoes) and so she is making suggestions for my boots... No, I don't want anything that ties...No heels! (geocaching in stilletos) No, too heavy...No, I don't want buckles! Nope, too low on the ankle. No, too high up the knee. Nope...just want something to slip on! I finally find something that will work...she claims it is not waterproof! What? Who makes a boot that is not waterprooof!

Now I am in search of a boot, that has a "waterproof" label. I end up buying a pair of "runway priced" boots/shoes that have a zipper on the side, but claim to be "waterproof"! When we leave the store, I smell like tires...it is raining out..it is getting dark. Mind you, we have not gotten 1 cache!

I check my I-phone and see there is 1 right by us. It was a LPC, nice and easy...even in the rain. As I am checking for more nearby caches...the pot-stirrer is headed for Starbucks. I see that there is a cache nearby. No...she's not going, she is getting Starbucks and we are heading home. It is only 0.4 miles away! A true geocacher would not pass up a cache that is only 0.4 miles away! Rain has never bothered her before, besides she just bought boots...but she is not budging.

I have to announce that I will buy the Starbucks, if we can stop for the cache! Well, that worked. It takes less than 2 minutes for this cache..and we are off to Starbucks.

Suddenly rain must not be an issue, as we bypass the drive thru, only to park, get out and walk in the rain. Once inside, she can't decide whether she wants the pumpkin or the Carmel...oh, so she gets both!

On the ride home...the rain has stopped ( of course) but it is already dark out, so I don't even suggest.... Really I was re-thinking the whole day, and realized what I really wanted was my old moon boots from the 80's

The "get winter boots for caching" can now be crossed off my list. Make sure you look for us this winter, I will be wearing Goldy's cammo coveralls...no hat...and my little black designer WATERPROOF boots!

No comments:

Post a Comment