Sunday, July 12, 2009

The wizard of Oz

When we were growing up, every year, and I mean EVERY YEAR, we watched The Wizard of Oz, and every year, I was scared out of my mind. I was under the covers (every year,) at the same point in the movie! But( none the less) the next year, we would do it all over again!! I think I liked the cowardly lion, but maybe I should have related to the scarecrow. Because suddenly I am in the "witches woods", acting like the scarecrow ( If I only had a brain) Just a "few feet down the path", turned into just a" few feet into the grasses". My I-phone could not pick up a gps location, due to the height of the grass. And I am looking for... what? Oh, yea a "tall clump of grass" I just kept putting one foot in front of the other. I didn't want to look down, just in case I saw a snake. Do we even have snakes here? And, what would I DO if I did see a snake? There was no way anyone could run in this ! I decide this is crazy. The travel bug will just have to sit. So, I head back to the dirt trail, but, ( as you can only imagine) I am turned around. The tall grasses lead me into a chained link fence. Where was there a chain link fence? OK...focus. Chain link should be around...where?... the outside maybe? Ok, just head out of the grass and for tall trees. I finally find myself on a dirt trail, with a steep incline. Now, that wasn't there when I entered, so obviously I am lost. My I-phone says I am 1.4 miles from the cache, how is that possible? I just want to get out. It was way TOO quiet, some animals were making scary noises ( I swear "it" was calling my name) and I was just waiting for the flying monkeys to appear. My first thought is ...what would 1st Sgt do? . Lets be realistic here...1st Sgt would NOT be here...not in tick filled grasses over his head, not with a gps of this caliper, not in these Woods. ( he will never admit it, but the flying monkeys scared him too) second thought... no one would find my body till...when? I decide to put my scouting skills to the test. Yea! what skills? I take a deep breath and head towards some light. When I finally see some light and asphalt, I brush off the seed pods, the ticks, and the thorns and head for my car. Well, the other cache with a travel bug... is on the way home.

No comments:

Post a Comment