Monday, August 30, 2010

Searching for a GPS

I am being mentored on GPS 's. I have a list a mile long...I am looking at Garmins, Colorado, Oregons and a few other states! But, think about it...when someone with 1 million caches, suggests a GPS....to someone with 300 caches, ahhh there is a problem. I don't have a clue..... I decide I am the "hands on" type of person, I want to see it....I want to hold it, I want to check out all the screens. I have my own list, one of the top requirements is the compass thingy. I hate when they always point North...I want it to point, or at least tell me, what direction I am heading. I want it to be like my rear view mirror in the car.

It is a Sunday, I never have Sundays off, so I really don't know what people do on Sundays....so I decide to get me a GPS ! Ya baby! I grab my list, purse, credit card, you know the whole entourage that go with females...and as a last minute thought, I grab a TB that I need to drop off.

I now have it set up that new releases are sent to my phone, so, of course, I think I am all cool and everything. I saw a new TB Hotel was released and it is on my way, or it could be on my way...so grab the TB

First stop, drop off the bug. I get to the site...I pull it up on my I-phone, I read the logs....uh oh...the coords are off. OMG...I feel for this person...if I knew where they lived I would drop off food! I go to GZ and look in a 30 foot circle...nothing...Ok, no problem, the TB can stay with me.

I head for the GPS store. As I am looking over all the GPs's....a salesman comes over...why yes, he can help. I tell him I need a GPS for geocaching. For what? Ok, now really, even the GPS people are listing that this device is Geocaching compatible...so if you are gonna sell Gps's, I would think the salesperson would know something about Geocaching. Ok, I know nothing about GPS's and you know nothing about Geocaching, so really, cute kid, this relationship is not gonna work! Can you call someone from the Geek Squad or something? He sends over another salesperson. This dude, not so cute, says....you geocache? and he says it like, he was saying...you were in the swimsuit edition of Sports illustrated? I hold my head up, yes I geocache! ( he doesn't need to know) Do you? Ah, no, but I know people that do. I actually had a sigh of relief. You see, if he did geocache, the next thing out of his mouth would have been...what is your caching name....and I swear to God, even being a Sunday, I would have lied. Iprobably would have said I was #2 of Just Us.

The next 30 mins we discuss geocaching. All the geocachers he knows are Geologists at the college....am I a geologist he asks...ah no...do you ever read Sports Illustrated?
We move on...he tries to play with the GPS units and I try to explain Geocahing. So, he asks, you just enter the coords, and it takes you to the treasure? Ah...ya...not my caches....my caches are 30 feet off. Ok...I am done here...off to the next place!

No comments:

Post a Comment