Tuesday, March 1, 2011

Trying NOT to make a splash!

Before I go completely insane, and am dragged off by people in white coats, I decide to go do some caching. Could have been a little warmer out, but I am "hopeful" ...oh and desperate! I download a few caches, and head out...I recognize the location from the title, so I go there first..GPS all set, I get out and head out. As I am getting closer to the river, I decide I better read the desprition.....hmmmmm...ok, a nano ...I have done nano's before. As I get closer, I realize I am headed for nothing that would contain a nano, better check the description again. It is at that time that I see that the Owner has listed it as a terrain of like a 2.5...ok....I am thinking, I am agreeing, as my feet hit the edge of land !

My heels are on ground...but my toes are over water ! Crap...I better check this out a little closer....so I read the hint....ahhhhhhhhhh......I see it, well "it" as the location...not the nano! As I stand on the river bank, I realize ( other than the geese) that there is only 1 car here, and it is some lady...hope she isn't watching me....I am afraid she is thinking...ok, lady if you are gonna jump, you have better odds going off the bridge

I am standing there, looking at the location, agreeing on the terrain, and just thinking this through. I put the GPS around my neck. Can't afford to have that go in. I have all my keys ( that is ALL my keys) on a "Kara-Beaner" ( As Peanut reads this, she is smiling and Very, Very Proud) so I hang that on the GPS...Oh ya, put the I-phone in my pocket, and zip it up! Well that takes care of anything valuable....I have my pen in hand...thinking, just how am I gonna do this?

With the thaw, the ground is a little muddy, but old leaves are present, I step very carefully...not really sure if there is ground under the leaves, or......? I am deciding at this time, that I want an attribute for all the caches...it should be a big GG with a line going through it...meaning, not a cache for Goldysgirl! Well, I could squat, and lean over....ahhhh probably not a good idea. Well, I guess I will have to sit. And so I do...the ground is cold...very, very cold, in fact, so cold that I cannot tell if it is just cold, but cold and wet! I definitely can tell that the river is cold and wet! I am NOW hoping the lady in the car...is indeed watching me, as she will be the only person who can call 911 when I fall in!

I have been on steeper terrains, and sometimes ( even though I have been known to trip over my own feet) I can tell if I am OK...and then there are other times, when I feel shaky, and know this is not gonna work...today I feel 50/50...this can go either way! I lean in...very v-e-r-y carefully...I feel the sight, am holding my breath, trying to feel the nano...ahhh, there it is...now BREATHE!!!!

Cold fingers and nanos, are always a trick, but I manage to get it out, and sign the log. Surprisingly it is dry ( I am not!) Now to return it, without either of us ( me or the nano) falling in ! I can only imagine e-mailing the owner that I dropped the nano in the river! YIKES!

Just as I start to smile...I found it! I realize that I have to get back up! I am on a little bit of an incline...and there is nothing for me to hold on to...grab on to...or even pull myself up with! And so...I have to scoot my butt up the incline. And still with the frozen butt, I can't tell if I am in mud! If these geese start pecking at me now...we are all goners! I "graciously" scoot up the hill, and manage to come to a standing position...holding my head up high...I head back to the car ( I refuse to check my butt for mud, in the presence of "eyes")

I get to the car, and bring up the next cache....well Ma, you always said make a big splash in life...Thank God it was NOT today!


No comments:

Post a Comment