Saturday, March 5, 2011

Flown the coop ...{*}

After finding my way out of the tunnel, I headed off to get a chirp cache...after all that was the main reason for the day. I should not have been surprised with the tunnel cache, seeing it was the "second" cache of the day...and history proves...We ( Peanut and me) usually get the first one right away, but the second cache is always difficult and usually a DNF ! Just saying.

I head over to Perry Farm...home of a "chirp". I downloaded the same site, {*} that I used for the first cache....Yes, that would be THEE first chirp cache in Illinois, and Yes, that would be me and Peanut as the FTF's ! Even tho it took 8 hrs....Peanut/me, are smarter, wiser, older ( LOL) The downside...I am solo today...and I WON"T even say...."how bad can this be?"

I manage to park, without too much difficulty....no one here! This should be an nice stroll, I think to myself. A mentor told us one time....a multi cache, usually takes you all the way in, and then all the way out for the final cache. See, and no one ever thinks I listen! With that in mind, I head out...for the furthest corner of the park. {*}

I decide to check the GPS for all screens, up and going...this GPS doesn't have the "Chirp cache on/off screen {*} ...but it is new and chirp compatible, so it must be "good to go" {*} after all I just downloaded the software! {*}

I check out the hint...why I never do this at home...beforehand...never ceases to amaze me! It talks about taking a stroll along the Kankakee River...hmmmmm....where the heck IS the river, from here? It doesn't take much to turn me around, and after the whole North/South episode with the tunnel...I am gonna tell you...I am clueless !

I continue to walk, telling myself, that all is good, and this is great exercise. I finally come across a sign that has an arrow pointing to the river....nice, it is on my right. Really? no....that can't be...nah...ok...keep going. I make several twists and turns...and when I say several, I mean A LOT! I walk around every little cul-de-sac {*} ....because I don't want to be asked if ... "I walked half-assed, or all the way" Why do I have the feeling....I am no where near this?

Miles later, and I truly do mean miles....I see that the river is ahead....Thank God, for the signs...but I do come to a "Y" Common sense ( which I have none) ...tells me to go to the left...I pause.....pause...pause...go to the left.

I walk, twist, turn, keep checking my GPS, until I am completely out of the park! The asphalt has gone to a road. But I do recognize the sight of another cache....already got that one. I turn around {*} and go completely back to the "Y" and now I go straight....( would have been the right) {*} and I walk, and walk, and walk. I am getting cold, I am sick of the "scenic" river, I am tired of looking at dead trees, fat squirrels and dead leave, besides that I have to pee!

I continue my trek all the way...out of the park....again! Ok, this is ridiculous...something has to be wrong. Once again I see the sight of a previous cache...at least I have some memory left! I turn around, AGAIN...and head back {*} Once again, back to the car, I go around every little, {*} and I mean every little cul-de-sac...every twist....every turn! The only thing I find, is the same log we "squatted" on...the last time, we were in Perry Farm!

I am frustrated! Normally I would being cramming food, to relieve my frustrations...but after walking ALL those miles...I decide I am ahead...so I do the next best thing...I head off for shopping! Funny how, your butt hurts after walking all day, looking for a cache...but never hurts when you are going up and down the aisles of a store!

With the car loaded with "great buys" I head home...(sigh) Chirpy has flown the coop ?

Hint: {*} = all the Wrong moves!

No comments:

Post a Comment