Friday, September 18, 2009

A great day of caching

The potstirrer worked overtime, so our day starts a little later than usual. But I am ready, print-outs, bags, I-phone, the whole works. I pick her up in the "cache-mobile" and announce I am riding shotgun. I have always wanted to do this, instead of being the one driving, navigating, settting corrds, etc....After all, we are off to test out her Garmin. Since, I have the paperwork, she has no idea, we are doing the alphabet man's caches! Good thinking on my part. We started off in a town, she use to be a medic in, so she knows her way around. That saved us a lot of time. Beginning at the furthest of our " 2 town" day, at the furthest cache, we worked our way in. We stopped at 11 caches, only 2 of the caches were NOT the Alphabet mans. Only 2 were DNF, ( of course, they were the Alphabet mans) 1 of those 2...just was NOT there, and the other was my fault, with a dead battery. Ended up with 3 travel bugs, 1 being a total surprise. And dropped off 1 bug, that we had picked up earlier in the day. The highlights of the day, was probably when we got one of the Alphabet man's cache...rated a 3 on being hard ! But really blew our sails away, on the very next cache, being a DNF, with a rating of 1.5!! Our last cache of the day, was purely on description, as the battery in the I-phone was DEAD!....it was very much past DUSK! And for some reason of the grace of "Goldie"...I checked my "other right" and found this one....better yet it had a TB in there...had just been placed there that evening! We signed that log in the DARK...and literally had to feel our way back to the cache-mobile!

The low points of the day....hmmmm, maybe scarfing down 1/2 a hot dog while en route....or perhaps walking a trail for 2 miles out of our way, not realizing the battery was too low to even pick up a signal!! The dejuve' was at a roadside pick up, when the hint said the "south" side of the road. I am not sure how the conversation started...but I know it ended up with me saying..."Yes, 1st Sgt"...then we laughed! So, all is good. The sun sets way too early anymore. Cuts down on our number of caches for the day.

We have a whole stack, we didn't get to. So, something to keep in mind, the next day we go.
Oh...and how do I know the potstirrer is now addicted? Probably when she said, we better get some good boots for the winter!

No comments:

Post a Comment