Sunday, December 19, 2010

Earth Cache # 2

Well, I think enough time has passed, (since submitting my "test" results on Earth cache #2....) that I must have passed.. The owner, to this date, has not pulled my "smiley" on the cache. So, I either passed, or he feels so sorry for me, that he is giving me the credit. Could be either way!

Earth cache #1, was pretty straight forward, I printed off the questions, got to the site...read the kiosk, wrote the answers, took the picture, and I was done. BUT...If you remember, way back then, it was that caching day, that my Phone died, ( and I mean died!) My computer died...I had to drive to the geek squad store, get the phone reset to factory settings ....only to lose all my pictures ...including the mandatory Earth cache picture! What a fiasco ... getting credit for that cache!!

So, being brave, I attempt Earth CACHE #2... I forgot how fun it was going to be! LOL It was our day out with TN Chad...we tackle the Indian Caves. As with all the Earth Caches I have experienced ( that would be 2 total) you print out the questions, write some answers, and take a pic. How hard can this be? Really, do we need to ask?

The problem.....well, the answers are not on some kiosk....you actually have to know something about geology or whatever! Ya right! The owner, obviously, does not know me! But I gave it my best shot.

One of the questions, ask if you think the rock is harder or softer than some other rock...or something to that extent....Hmmmmm, as I am peering over the edge...Well, if I fall...and hit my head, I think it will be pretty hard. Ok...I have no idea! Can I google this?

Another question, wants you to figure how deep the caves are. Well, deep. I am thinking... pretty deep. I have no idea...so being, the good scout, I thought I would try to figure that out. In my brain, I thought if I did way point averaging, while I was at the bottom, and then did it at the top....It would tell me how far the 2 were from each other, and then I would know how deep it was. It was a thought....I am sure a wrong thought.....I obviously am not an expert on way point averaging, or even a "beginner" I am downright a newbie! It was just a thought...but when I did it, it said 2 feet! And I know it was deeper than 2 feet! (Well, the good news, of the 3 of us there, I was the only one who even knew the term waypoint averaging!)

I think there was a question about the stone being darker or lighter....well once again...clueless. I think we had limestone in a front garden whenI was growing up, it was like a little ledge where the tulips grew. I always thought it looked pretty white....unless it was wet, then it looked darker! Oh okay, we will guess on this one!

So, as you can tell I am not a geologist! And, I really did try to get the right answers. I know that if the owner knew me....He would agree that I should get credit for just showing up....not falling in....able to climb out....and survive without something being broken!

So...my Earth Cache experiences, are really getting up there! Just because you are out Geocaching...does not mean that you know anything about nature and rocks and all that good stuff. Well, at least for me...I am still trying to figure out North from South. Thank Godness, the questions were not based on directions! Can you imagine..."facing North, tell me what....blah, blah....OMG I would still be down there!

No comments:

Post a Comment