Wednesday, July 28, 2010

We think we are getting better

Due to circumstances beyond her control, Peanut misses the 6am caching call. She stops by at 3pm, dressed in jeans and tennies ( it is 87 degrees out) and wants to go caching. Sure....but Pizza Dudes caches, are all terrain of 1-1.5, so what is with the jeans? And...that is when she announces....we are going to get "the tunnel" ! Oh....
"the tunnel", yep I am in...let me change my clothes! (sign #1....we are getting better)

We decide to do a small collection of 5-6 caches in one town, then buzz over for "the tunnel" I have printed off, just the map showing the location of the caches.....hoping to do this in some sort or orderly fashion. ( sign # 2)

We head out on our quest, the 1st stop of the day, will be a cache, that we had been meaning to get to, but never got around to. We stop there first. We are in a park. We get out our phones, and go to our Geocaching applications. Nothing! What? Ok, lets try again...nothing. Well eventually we get a message saying " no communication" So, basically it is saying we are s--- out of luck! Well, we didn't drive out here for nothing! This cache is placed by someone we know, know the style, know what they like, so I decide to do a little "profiling". ( sign #3)

Hmmm....this was placed in their early days, so it will be a cammo hanging, or a taped container at the base of something...tree or bush. Looking around we see, about 10 evergreen trees...that would be #1 choice. So, now we are trying to "think" back to when we read the logs....ok, is this the one where Alphabet man said, he hated this kind of cache...or do we just know that from the cache event? Anyways, lets go with the first thought...the evergreen tree! ( sign #4)

looking around, I choose the cluster of evergreens, in the middle, but in the back...This cacher would not hide something, where everyone would be watching...plus the cache would be reached from the back, thus hiding the cacher even better ! The base of the trees are pretty "open"....so we are going for a hanging.
Past experiences tell me, it will be at 5 foot-ish high, or it will be low, but on a branch where you have to pick up another branch to see it! (sign #5)

So, now we have it narrowed down to 4 trees, I am guessing the middle 2. But I am still trying to figure out the right or the left one...( hey can't tell you everything!)

Ahhh...got it! (sign #6) So much for profiling...makes me think twice about MY next hides! So, we are off to the next cache...hoping our phones will be up soon...
We are clueless on the Pizza Dude!



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you have a plan and are working it! Certainly a sign you are getting better and smarter!

    I have to admit I have puzzled many times over who is this Goldysgirl geocacher in real life? Even though I teach at IW I am HORRIBLE with names and family connections. So I was stumped! Today I was reading another geocacher's blog and see link to your blog. All I could think is maybe she has a picture of herself in her blog profile! Sadly not so! But then I started reading. Your stories are fabulous! And wouldn't you know it I did manage to see a picture of you. I can't say that I've actually seen you in person that I can recall but now I'll at least have a starting point if I bump into you at a cache. :)

    I'll be adding your blog to my Google reader just to keep a smile on my face on the days I can't go caching.

    ReplyDelete